Monday, April 6, 2009

Tea Time






After our lunch and walk in the park, we went to a little shop near the White Swan, Susan's Place. There, Jingju had lots of fun playing with the toys and looking at everything on the shelves. The owner's husband is from the same area that Jingju comes from, near Beihai City. Our guides have told me that Jingju doesn't always understand their dialect, and so she often answers with "yes," "no," or "I don't know." This man spoke her dialect, and for the first time, I heard my daughter having a real conversation. She and this man sat down and had tea together. He showed her how he steeps the leaves and washes the cups. It was wonderful to hear Jingju's voice and watch her interact with him. I plan to take her back tomorrow for tea again so they can talk some more.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for all of the great pictures. She is so precious. Please hand the camera to Shirley and have her take pictures of the two of you together!
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is great. I am confused, tho. What is the dialect. She speaks Cantonese? Is there a dialect in Cantonese? Anyway, this is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving your blog. I miss China so much. It is like our second home from when we adopted our girls. BTW our cat, Aki, LOVES his Lactulose, we flavor his other medicines grape because of it. I'm so glad you're having fun.

    Susan Allman

    ReplyDelete